ss_blog_claim=b2279e430ccb7170410db0a73c6dc7ad

2008/06/28

That Same Old Feeling

Last June 20, I had a procedure at DMSF Hospital. My patient had an obstructing 1.8 cm ureteral stone on the left noted on ultrasound and his creatinine was already elevated. However, it was not seen on the plain KUB xray. Good, since the option of dissolving the stone through medication would work for this patient meaning that I dont have to open him up. He was not a regular patient since he was diabetic, hypertensive and in heart failure! Not to mention, he is the father of a grade school classmate, brother of one of my mom's amigas and a fellow Batangueno-Davaoeno. Usually, I don't give in to this kind of pressure but honestly, I felt quite uneasy but still focused. He was cleared for surgery and it was the first time that I did a surgery with the cardiologist requesting that the cardiovascular anesthesiologist be the one to induce anesthesia. I had no qualms regarding that since it was all for patient safety, and I know that he will be in good hands. I did a cystoscopy, retrograde pyelography which showed a radiolucent 1.5 cm, partially obstructing proximal ureteral stone. Luckily, I was able to bypass the stone and insert a double J stent. When I talked to the family after the procedure, I could see their relief after knowing I that I didn't have to do an open procedure. I, too, was relieved because as much as possible, opening him up was last on my list. God was on my side that day!

My patient had a follow up check up a week (June 27) after I put in the stent, His creatinine went down to 1.3 mg/dL from the elevated 2.9 mg/dL preoperatively. I could feel his happiness with the outcome of the procedure. I received endless words of gratitude which made me feel good. He returned to work a few days after he was discharged from the hospital. His co-workers were curious about what procedure was done and how was it done. He even told me: "Doc, don't worry, people will start coming here, I told them to see you if they have any problems with regards to your specialty."
Thanks! Instant advertisement for me.

Its different when I was still in training since most of the patients that I handled had a purely doctor-patient relationship. I have this nice and light feeling everytime I my patients and relatives express their gratitude especially after a successful surgery.

I had the same nice and light feeling since I was able to do good to someone who is not only a patient but also is considered a friend of the family.

No comments:

Davao on             the Web

Subscribe in a reader

Custom Search