ss_blog_claim=b2279e430ccb7170410db0a73c6dc7ad

2008/05/09

UROLOGY TRAINING AT NATIONAL KIDNEY AND TRANSPLANT INSTITUTE


How time flies....It seems like only yesterday. On December 8, 2003, I received a call from Paz , the secretary of NKTI Urology Dept telling me to go to NKTI and start my pre-fellowship. I took care of everything that I had to before I left Davao. When I started on Dec 15, 2003, I was awed by everything that was in the institution. For a government hospital, it was really surprising. The whole hospital had centralized airconditioning and was so clean. The instruments in the operating room were complete, ask for it and they have it and everything was so well organized. The facilities were A1. The requests for laboratories, xrays and other ancillary procedures are done thru a click of a mouse! Each ward has a computer where the requests are sent and the results can be viewed and printed in the ward after 1 hour!Fantastic! Its something that even the expensive hospitals here in Davao City don't have.

I was used to the laid back life here in Davao and I asked myself, am I ready for the fast paced life in Manila? I know that the level of training there is really really different from what we have in other places. When I was in my first year, I had to be on my toes at all times, making follow ups on labs, xrays and OR schedules, making sure that every hole has been covered. With super strict seniors, we couldn't relax. As I climbed up the ladder annually, I became more strict each day that passes by because I didnt want mistakes that we did to be committed by our juniors. I became better each day at what I did, theoretically and technically. It was really tiring, physically and mentally, but it was all worth it. My day wouldnt be complete if I didnt do at least one surgery. I consider myself very lucky to be trained at NKTI and be mentored by a consultant staff considered to be the who's who in Philippine urology.

Well, training wise, we had more than enough teaching material. The Urology office library had a wide array of textbooks and journals as well as broadband internet access. Research work is one of the requirements in any training program. Material for research was more than adequate and we had the support and supervision to complete our researches.(Thanks to Dr Joben Abraham)

Our outpatient clinic is one of the busiest in the hospital since we see close to 80 patients per clinic day with a variety of urologic problems to challenge our neurons and decision making abilities.

Honing my surgical skills was not a problem since we had many cases to do. Not only was I trained in open surgery but I was also trained in endourology and minimally invasive urology as well as ESWL. (Thanks to Drs JB Mendoza & Joey Morales)

The creation of the prostate health clinic last 2005 allowed us to focus on the group of patients with prostate problems and helped us greatly in the diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment of such problems. We were also trained to perform transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy since the department has an own ultrasound machine in the operating room. We also have minimally invasive procedure for treament of prostate cancer, the HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound), the first and only in Asia. (Thanks to Drs Dave Abraham & Genlinus Yusi)

I was also lucky to have been able to work with and be supervised by four pediatric urologists. Having a separate pediatric urology clinic helped us in handling genitourinary disorders in the pediatric age group. (Thanks to Drs Dante Dator, Mon Torres, Mike Gaston & Niko Magsanoc)

We also boast of urologic oncologists who provided us the knowlege in genitourinary cancers as well as tips and tricks in doing urologic cancer surgery. (Thanks to Drs Abe Prodigalidad, Rey dela Cruz & Jimmy Songco)

One advantage of our program is that NKTI is a transplant center so we have an extensive exposure and hands-on experience in performing kidney harvest for transplantation. (Thanks to Drs Genaro Yusi, Ed Rivera, Sonny Patron, Awe Lenon, Luis Florencio & Genlinus Yusi)

To highlight my training, our batch(NKTI Urology batch 2007) was the first among the training institutions to have laparoscopy integrated in the training curriculum. We held post graduate courses each year starting 2004. We also have an in-house animal workshop to practice our dexterity in performing the procedures. Then we started as assistant surgeons for laparoscopic procedures then eventually being the surgeon. It is one of the advancements in our training. I, together with my 2 batchmates are trained and qualified to perform laparoscopic procedures. (Thanks to Drs JV Prodigalidad and Jun Gerial)

My stay in NKTI is not only about the training, we all know that it is the best institute when it comes to Urology training. Its also about friendship and camarederie, problems and solutions, and a lot more lessons in life. I knew that my training would end on December 2007 and I had to start private practice on 2008 to carry on all the skills and knowledge that the best institution has imparted on me.

Sadly, I had to leave NKTI when I completed my training...even though I was done with my training, there's always a part of me that belongs to NKTI...

I knew I had to go, but I wanted to look for reasons to stay.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to train in NKTI and to work with and be supervised by the best urology consultant staff.

NKTI Website





NKTI Department of Urology Consultant and Fellow Staff 2006 (click on picture to enlarge)


NKTI Urology Fellows 2007


Operating Room Action - That's me performing my favorite surgery, Donor Nephrectomy (Kidney harvest for transplant)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting site. I love medical-related blogs. I remember when I was still in college, I have a case on TURP at Cotabato Regional and Medical Center and the surgeon was then was Dr. Naresh, hehe. He was really kind, he let me view the internal part through his device which is like a telescope. Haha. I can't forget that coz we are the only 2 in the OR Theater, the anesthesiologist went to another room and my clinical instructor was out of sight.

Michael Jonathan Latayan, MD, FPUA said...

thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi doc.. I'm cathy.. I'm just wondering if you did train for pediatric urology at NKTI? I have a friend abroad who wants to know if he can specialize in pediatric urology here in the Philippines. and I cannot think of any institution offering it here aside from NKTI.. hope to hear from you.. tnx..

ZachMD said...

Dr. Latayan, i have just graduated medicine last 2008 and am very much interested in urology. Would you recommend that i take the GS program in NKI then after 2 years transfer to Uro prog or would it be better that I take the 2 year gs prog in another hospital. My choices are either uro in PGH or in NKI. I am still deciding between the two. Hope you can provide some information to help in my decision making. Thank you very much

Michael Jonathan Latayan, MD, FPUA said...

hello everyone, thank you for visiting my site

@cathy:
the training in pediatric urology that i had was part of the 4 yr urology training program of the NKTI considering that we have 4 pediatric urology consultants.
Philippine childrens medical center has 1 fellow in training right now under Dr Bolong a pediatric urologist from UST. NKTI will also be having a pediatric urology fellowship program but is still ironing out some of the details, though i dont know when they will actually start. there are quite a few requirements to be accepted in the program and one of them is that you have to complete a 4 yr training in general urology and the fellowship program is 2 yrs.

Michael Jonathan Latayan, MD, FPUA said...

@zachmd

NKTI has no GS program so you have to take it in another hospital

king said...

Hello... this is a very nice forum for ordinary people like me. Thanks for your wonderful blog. More power !!!

Unknown said...

Hi Doc, I'm Sally. Do you do insertion of Triangular Prostatic Stent? How much would it cost? Which hospital/clinic in Davao would it be done?

You could reach me through my email address: shemaryah613@gmail.com

Davao on             the Web

Subscribe in a reader

Custom Search